Tofu is a staple here at Best Vegan HQ, as it is with most vegans. So you can imagine our delight when we found out that such a thing as a tofu press exists, and we’ve been using heavy cookery books to press our tofu like fools!
This ToFuture Tofu Press review covers everything you need to know, including how it works, where’s best to buy it from and whether there are better alternatives in a similar price bracket.
Let’s get started!
ToFuture is a British-based company launched in 2012 by Adam and Susanna Kittow. It’s refreshing to see a small british business flying the flag for veganism and being innovative with products such as this!
They use their website to sell the ToFuture tofu press, as well as replacement bands whenever needed (we’ve been using our press for a while now and it’s showing absolutely no signs of wear and tear). It’s good to know that you don’t need to buy an entire press if the bands wear out – bonus points for being environmentally friendly!
ToFuture also post great recipes on their website as well as a blog that covers everything, from types of tofu to travel guides and everything in between. Be sure to head over to their website and check it out.
ToFuture Tofu Press Review
We bought our ToFuture Tofu Press from Amazon UK and it was shipped and delivered the next day through Amazon Prime.
There is a lot of competition on Amazon when it comes to tofu presses. There are fancy artisan wooden presses and a whole bunch of what look nice knock-off attempts at trying to copy the ToFuture Tofu Press.
We haven’t yet tried any of the others (we will get round to it eventually!) so we can’t comment on their quality, but just the sheer amount of positive reviews for the ToFuture tofu press when compared to the others speaks volumes.
The tofu press arrived and was packaged in a nice little branded cardboard box. Sometimes with certain Amazon products, you can tell that they’ve put no effort into the product just by looking at the packaging, and a lot of the time they’ve just been dropshipped straight from China.
With the ToFuture tofu press, it feels like this is a product that has been well thought through. The tofu press is well made, sturdy, and is small enough to be tucked away in a cupboard.
Does It Press Tofu Well?
Yes! The tofu press did a great job of pressing the tofu. It was just as good as you would expect from any home appliance that costs over £40 and it is definitely worth it for the quality alone.
But there are other features too:
– Easy To Clean – You can detach all parts and they’re dishwasher safe, so this makes cleaning up after cooking a breeze.
– Replacement Bands – Wear and tear over time is expected, especially from the bands that press and hold the tofu under pressure. It’s good to see that you can purchase replacement bands from ToFuture’s website at an affordable cost.
– Design – While the ToFuture Tofu Press doesn’t have any flashy or fancy gimmicks like a bamboo case or stainless steel design, it does do an excellent job of pressing tofu. The design is simple and straightforward so there’s not much to get in your way while you’re cooking.
What Are The Drawbacks To The ToFuture Tofu Press?
In reality, after months of use we can’t find any serious drawbacks to the ToFuture Tofu Press. A couple of little things we should mention are:
– Tight Bands – Some people may find it difficult in getting the bands around the tofu press. It can feel like you’re going to snap them, but it’s very unlikely! There’s not much that can be done about this though, as the tofu press needs to produce a lot of pressure on the tofu.
– Remembering To Press In Advance – Not technically a drawback to the ToFuture Tofu Press but a drawback to all tofu presses! We ALWAYS forgot to press our tofu in advance of making a meal.
In the end, we recommend buying a ToFuture Tofu Press. It does exactly what it needs to do and is a lot easier than using a bunch of heavy books or having your tofu come out hard in texture. We love that this product has been made with such attention to detail – it’s very apparent how much time was put into designing and creating this!
– Ease of use for beginners
– Professional design that looks great sitting on any countertop
– Compact size makes storage easy
– Bands are durable, with affordable replacement bands available from the ToFuture website if required.
The ToFuture Tofu Press is absolutely brilliant, and we recommend that you buy one. You won’t regret it. And if for any reason this press does not work out for you (we can’t imagine why!) then please get in touch with ToFuture – they’re a great company and are always happy to help.